There are many different causes of discolored teeth. Some of which can be prevented, and others that are out of your control. Here are the various causes of discolored teeth:
- Coffee, tea, soda, red wine
- Cigarettes and chewing tobacco
- Poor dental hygiene
- Any trauma, illness, or disease that affects the enamel development in children or the enamel in adults
- Sometimes medical treatments can contribute to teeth staining or even certain medications as well
To know how to remove a teeth stain, it helps to know what type of stain you are dealing with in the first place. If you are searching for a cosmetic dentist near me to help you determine the cause of your teeth stain, our team can help.
Types of Tooth Stains
There are three main categories classified for tooth discoloration, extrinsic factors, intrinsic factors, and age-related:
Extrinsic factors are the most common cause of teeth-staining. It happens when the outer layer of the tooth, referred to as enamel, is stained. It is caused by the consumption of coffee, tobacco, cola, wine, or other foods that can stain the teeth. Drinking coffee from a straw, rinsing after your morning coffee, and always flossing are just a few of the many ways to avoid staining when consuming coffee.
Intrinsic factors cause the inner structure of the tooth, or dentin, to darken or become yellow. This type of discoloration may be due to several specific reasons:
- Tetracylcine use in your mother during the second trimester of pregnancy
- Trauma affecting the permanent tooth during a young age
- Dentinogenesis imperfecta- a rare disorder causing purple, grey, and amber discoloration of the dentin
- High exposure to fluoride during early childhood
- Increased use of tetracyclines at the age of 8 or younger
The enamel that covers the teeth gets thinner with age, allowing the dentin to show through. This can cause an increased risk of chips, decay, and brown spots, especially when the pulp is damaged. Foods and smoking also play a more prominent role when the teeth age.
Cosmetic dentist near me
When searching for a cosmetic dentist near me, our office provides services such as cleanings, root canals, porcelain veneers, and Zoom! Whitening to achieve a whiter smile. If you are interested in an initial evaluation for a whiter and brighter smile, contact us today at Bonnie Helfner, DDS to set up an appointment. We look forward to helping you achieve your perfect smile!